How is Ring Size Measured
How to choose your ring size
The first thing to say is don’t panic or stress about working out your ring size. We can help you find the size that is right for you.
The overall aim is to find the smallest ring that feels comfortable.
What ring size is good for you?
You know you have the right ring size if you can twist the ring and gently ease it over your knuckle. If not, you will either find that it is too easy to slide off and lose – or that it simply feels too tight and is painful to remove from your finger. Neither option is ideal – so let’s find the right size for you.
In the UK, the most common ring size for men is size Q. This is a finger circumference of 57.6 mm. This works out to be 18.34 mm in diameter.
Interestingly though, ring sizes for men vary , largely between sizes P to Z. It clearly varies massively between individuals and it is not nearly accurate enough to assume you are about ‘average’.
Because it is difficult to know your exact ring size, we have made it super easy to exchange your ring for a different size.
So, if you do order a ring size that turns out to be slightly too small or too big, it is simply not a problem.
No worries at all. It is simple to exchange, and you will not face any additional charges.
What ring size am I?
There are several options in finding out your ring size.
Just find the option that works best for you – and even if it doesn’t turn out to be the necessary perfect fit, we will keep exchanging until you are 100% happy.
If you didn’t already know about this, we have some good news for you….
We will send you a ring sizer for free.
- Simply select the ring that you would like to order.
- Click on the button ‘Select Ring Size and Order’.
- Scroll down and select ‘I don’t know my ring size’.
- Complete the order process
- We will send you a free ring sizer in the post
- Work out your ring size and email us to tell us the size you require
- We will get your ring sent out
- IMPORTANT – When using the ring sizer, be sure to experiment several times throughout the day.
You will find that your fingers swell depending on how warm or cold you are. For example, your fingers will be smaller when you are cold and are usually larger at the end of the day.
Find what is your ‘average size’ by popping on the ring sizer three or four times during the day. You will soon find what is right for you most of the time.
- The measurements taken at the end of the day are probably the ones to go by as this will be when your fingers are largest. When you are cold, your fingers will be at least half a size smaller.
(Interestingly, the fingers on your dominant hand are usually larger).
Remember that the ‘right size’ is a ring that should fit your finger comfortably. It should be tight enough that it won’t slide off – but loose enough to slide over your knuckle with a very gentle twist.
Or get your finger sized
Your second option is to have your finger measured and professionally sized at a jewellery shop.
All jewellers have ring sizers that you can use to find out your ring size. These are simply plain rings that you can try on to find your ideal fit.
- It’s quick and easy and normally free
Just like measuring at home with a ruler or our ring sizer, remember that it is best to visit the jewellery shop later on in the day and try and make sure your hands are nice and warm!
Or work out your ring size at home
- Your third option is to measure your finger at home and check against a ring sizing chart. However, please note that we don’t recommend this option as it is difficult to get an accurate measurement and sizing.
- Wrap string or a strip of paper around the base of your finger.
- Mark the point where the ends meet with a pen.
- Use a ruler to measure the string or paper in millimetres.
- Use the ring sizing chart to find the closest measurement that matches your finger to work out your ring size.
Alternatively, you can use a printable tape measure / finger gauge. Once you have printed this out, simply wrap the cut-out sizer around your finger to find your ring size.
Standard vs Comfort Fit Rings?
Because we know that you are going to want a ring that feels beautiful to wear, most of our rings here at Newman Bands are Comfort Fit.
- The difference between a Comfort Fit ring and a Standard Fit ring is that the inside of the Comfort Fit ring is rounded. This helps the ring to slide over your knuckle with ease.
- With a Comfort Fit ring, the inside diameter of the ring gets larger as you get closer to the edge of the ring. This is different to the Standard Fit rings which are flat on the inside of the ring – so the inside diameter is the same as from the edge to the very middle of the ring.
What does that mean to me?–Because of this difference, Comfort Rings tend to fit a little bit looser than standard fit rings that are of the same measurement.
As a general rule of thumb, when purchasing a comfort fit ring, you should choose a size that is about a half size smaller than your standard fit ring size..